Wednesday 5 September 2007

Comic look at mistranslation

When I went to a bible college, a few lecturers had some strange takes on what should have been straight forward doctrines.
The text didn't support their theories, so they would take a concordance and some logic limited by knowledge and would say that our translations had it wrong - the word should be such and such, and that would make the meaning so and so. This, without any understanding of the grammer and other constructs of the language.

I found a piece that takes a comic look at mistranslation. I don't know who the original author was, but it tells a story in Afrikaans, of going on a hunting trip.
Some words broken down, are actually other common words in English. For instance, the Afrikaans word for potatoe is broken down into "earth apple". So if you have a limited understanding of the language, and need to depend on a dictionary to reconstruct what you hear (especially if you're trying to push forward an agenda), below is something that can happen. :-)


AFRIKAANS: Soos in die tyd van die Voortrekkers, het ek en my swaer,Jan, ystervarke en stinkmuishonde gaan jag met die dubbelloop-haelgeweer. Uiteindelik sien my swaer Jan 'n stinkmuishond, sit 'n patroon in die loop, lê aan, trek los en daar lê die stinkmuishond bene in die lug. Net toe ons nader kom ruik ons hoe die stinkmuishond stink en hardloop weg. My voet haak toe vas aan die wortel van 'n boom, ek slaan neer en breek my sleutelbeen. By die hoofpad uitgekom, staan daar 'n ou met 'n pap wiel. Hy vra toe of ons weet waar hy 'n motorhawe kan kry om lug vir die agterwiel te bekom. Van pure moedeloosheid bly sit ons net daar langs die pad.

ENGLISH: As in the time of the Frontpullers, me and my heavy, John, went to shoot iron pigs and stink-mice-dogs with a dubble-walk-hailgun. At last my heavy John saw a stink-mouse-dog, so my heavy puts a pattern in the walk, lies on, pulls loose and there lies the stink-mouse-dog, bones in the light. Just as us come close, us smelt how the stink-mouse-dog stinks and runs away quick. My foot hooks fast to the carrot of a tree, I fall down and breaks my keybone. As we came to the chiefroad, there stand an old with a porridge wheel. He asks if us knows where he can get a motorharbour to get some sky for his afterwheel. From pure motherlessness us sits just there next to the road.

Another trip, translated sentence by sentence:

Verlede jaar het ek en my swaer en my skoonseun per vliegtuig na Windhoek gereis om veral die dierelewe van Namibie te besigtig.

Last year, me and my heavy and my cleanson traveled by flying harness to Windcorner specially to belook the animal-living in Namibia.

In die Noorde het ons toe volop springbokke, steenbokke, blesbokke, kameelperde en ook meerkatte gesien.

In the North we then saw full-up jumping goats, brick buck, bald buck, Camel horses and also more cats.

Een keer was ons senuwees egter skoon op hol.

One time genuine our sinews were clean on hollow.

Ons het agtergekom dat 'n luiperd besig was om ons te bekruip.

We aftercame that a lazy-horse was becreeping us.

In 'n oomblik was ons slaggereed met ons dubbelloop haelgewere.

In an uncle-tin we were slaughter ready with our double walk hail guns.

Toe die luiperd agter die bos roer, skiet ons almal gelyk.

When the lazy-horse mixed behind the bush, we all shot equal.

Na alles verby was, was ons hare baie deurmekaar. Ons het dit toe netjies gemaak, in die bakkie geklim en huis toe gery.

After all was past, our hairs were very through each other. We then made it into small nets, we climbed in the dish, and rode home.

Langs die pad het ons 'n papwiel gekry.

Along the road we got a porridge wheel.

So het ons lang, opwindende dag geeindig.

So did our long, wound-up day end!




5 comments:

  1. Directly translated from the Afrikaans:

    Very thank-you here-for, I have all a long time for something sort-even searched. Yes-no, now can I it out-end-ly for my non-Afrikaans friends on-send. I wonder if it so funny shall be if you not Afrikaans bestand not... if you Afrikaans bestand give it definitely to the humour a by-coming dimension... but now yes. Again-once thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very amusing guys but you need to look at being consistent with translation and use of words...at one place you translated "bokke" as goats then after that as buck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason! You have given me a much needed laugh! I was trying to recall this story, part of which was told in 1982 when I was a student missionary with YWAM for a year. I googled the words heavy and cleanson and arrived at your blog. Ditto, wolfieinu, well said. The whole point of the story is to have a good laugh, not to be technically correct about translation - as Jason said, it is comical mistranslation. Thanks guys. Best regards, Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bok" is a noun in Afrikaans and is used to describe both goats and buck. Just saying! funny read though and adding an accent makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok guys now what is the word for sideburns? I told my husband he needed his kant branders trimmed he collapsed in a heap on the floor he he

    ReplyDelete